This is the official blog page for Captured Magazine. Give us feedback on what you think of our magazine
or just things you would want to see in our next issue.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Let's Talk Lenses

Buying lenses can be incredibly overwhelming. It seems like the best ones are super expensive, but you don't really want to waste money on cheap lenses every few years. There is also a wide variety of lenses out there, that it can be near impossible to make a choice.
When it comes to buying camera lenses I struggle with the same things. I find myself spending hours upon hours on the internet searching for good, decently priced lenses that will do what I want it to. And because lenses cost so much money, it makes it so much more stressful. I tend to want a lens that I could take out for everyday shots, but also something that I could use when shooting portraits.
I recently discovered the beauty of a 500mm f/1.8. I never thought I would find myself buying a prime lens. I was convinced that it would limit me when shooting. I was sure that I would find myself claustrophobic when using the lens because I would be unable to zoom in and out.
I was incredibly wrong. I have the hardest time taking the lens off of the camera. I am absolutely in love with it.
It's great for everyday use because it's small and light weight, I can just grab my camera and head out the door. My clunky camera almost feels "compact" with the lens on. It's also great for indoors and outdoors. The wide aperture range allows you shoot in lower-light situations without the flash, which I absolutely love. It's great for portraits because you can get a great or small depth of field easily. And it can even take a decent close up shot. It produces great sharp images and the price makes it great for a starter lens. Most 50mm lenses run around $100, which is one of the cheapest lenses out there. You can't really go wrong with a price that good, and let's be honest, it sounds pretty sweet telling your friends that you shoot with a prime lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment